Home

Lionism began in 1917, when a young Chicago insurance agent, Melvin Jones, presented to a group of separate business clubs the idea of consolidating the individual clubs into one strong influential club, called the International Association of Lions ClubsTheir goal was to help the community and to serve humanity with emphasis on serving the blind.  

 

The Confluence Lions Club was established by charter on June 3, 1939 by a group of interested men from the communities of Addison, Confluence and Ursina, Pennsylvania. There were 27 charter members who believed there was a need in the community for such a service club to unite those services that were already being provided.  Since this was a new venture, these men asked the Somerset Lions Club to assist them in organizing a club in this area and to share their already proven experiences. 

 

The first president elected in 1939, was Clarence C. Shaffer.     Refer to Past Presidents for a complete list of Confluence Lions Club presidents.

 

The club currently has more than forty members . There is always a need for new members who will enjoy participating in the clubs service activities and a relationship with other members of the community. Several social events are held throughout the year to encourage comradery.

 

Four of our members have received the distinguished Melvin Jones Fellowship Award.  All members pledge to abide by the Lions Code of Ethics

 

The lions motto is "We Serve".  The lions colors are Purple & Gold.